Hubitat Elevation is a home automation hub that works completely locally. All automation scripts are executed directly in the hub and stay there without the need for any cloud services.
The idea behind Hubitat Elevation is that all your data (devices and automation) should not be processed anywhere in the cloud making you dependent on the internet and a server run in a cloud by a company that may change its policy overnight and make you either pay for their services or shut them down.
Local processing also means instant communication with attached devices so when you want the light to come on it comes on right at the moment you (or automation) choose.
Cloud Dependent Solutions vs Hubitat Elevation®
The hub communicates in Z-Wave plus, ZigBee and LAN protocols making it compatible with lots of devices from different brands like:
- -Osram Lightify
- -Philips Hue
- -Ikea Tradfri
- -Neo Coolcam
- -Shelly 1, Shelly 2, Shelly 1PM and Shelly
Hubitat is compatible with services such as:
- -Amazon Echo
- -Google Home
- -SharpTools – a great way to see your things on your mobile device
- -Yeelight (Xiaomi wi-fi light bulbs)
The other great idea is that the community may develop its own scripts to run any device they want to use. You only get it in one Hubitat’s rival (popular in the UK) but it does not offer 100% local processing.
Out of the box you get many apps built into Hubitat.
A few examples are:
- -Hubitat Mobile – a recent app with geofencing, push notifications and your dashboards
- -Dashboards – to see the state and control your devices on a desktop or your mobile
- -Hue Bridge integration (but you can still control hue lights directly if you want)
- -HSM – Hubitat Security Monitor to guard your home and/or office
- -Thermostats scheduler
- -Notifier – to let you know of whatever happens to connected devices (low battery, high power usage etc)
- -Rule Machine 4.0 – to create unmatched automation (easy for beginners) whatever you can imagine using global and local variables, timers and nested IF-THEN-ELSE
- -Maker API with endpoints linking to every device connected to the hub both local and cloud
- -MQTT client